This is a delicious spicy snack and main course also. Matar ke chole can be as a snack or as a main dish with kulcha or Nan and rice also. You can make this chole and have it with kulcha. Chole kulcha is one of the most relished street food all over India. You can serve chole with tamarind chutneys and chopped onion, green chili, and sev as an evening snack.
1 Cup Soaked dried Peas (over night)
2 chopped tomatoes
2 chopped onion
2 Chopped green chili
2 tbspn Oil
½ Cumin seed
1 Pinch Hing
½ tespn turmeric powder
1 tespn Coriander Powder
½ tespn red chilli
½ Garam masala
½ tespn Ginger-garlic paste
Roasted jeera powder as per required
Chopped Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Rinse the dried peas with water thoroughly and soak them in water for 8 to 10 hours or overnight. Drain out the excess water and soaked dried peas are ready to use.
2. To pressure cook the dried soaked peas, take a pressure cooker and place the soaked peas into it, followed by 1 cup of water. Make sure that the peas are immersed nicely in water. Also, add ¾ tsp salt to the pressure cooker. Mix well and pressure cooks the dried peas until 1-2 whistles.
3. When it starts whistling reduces the flame. Peas are now cooked through, take off the pressure cooker from flame and let the steam escaped on its own and the check if they are tender and soft.
4. Let’s prepare masala, for this, heat a pan with 2 tbspn of oil. When oil is hot adding bay leaf, cumin seeds first. Then add ½ pinch hing.
5. The add chopped onion and ginger garlic paste and sauté for a till the onion golden brown. Now add chopped tomato, and sauté for 2 min.
6. After that add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and add some water and sauté the until oil starts leaving its edges and you get grainy textured masala. When the oil starts leaving the sides of the masala add ½ spoon garam masala.
7. After that mix the boiled peas to the masala add water. Add water as required to make the peas thick or thin in consistency. We are adding 1 ½ cup of water. Add the remaining salt as per taste. Cover and cook the chole for 2-3 min. on medium flame.
8. Now chole is ready for serve.
9. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and roasted cumin powder.
10. Serve with hot Paratha, Kulcha, naan, or steamed rice.
|Matar ke Chole|