Kathal (jackfruit) ki Sabzi Recipe is a delicious and spicy gravy prepared with kathal/ raw jack-fruit with spices.
Kathal is a seasonal fruit and is available during the starting months of the summer season in India. Kathal having a meaty texture can be used as a substitute for chicken or mutton.
Raw Jack-fruit is high in vitamin C and high in fiber content and also in calcium that is really essential in bone health.
Serve Kathal ki Sabzi Recipe along with Chapati, Jeera rice or steamed rice.
250 grams Jack-fruit Raw (Kathal)
2-3 Onions , thinly sliced
¼ teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
5-6 cloves Garlic
2-3 whole red chilli
1 inch Ginger chooped
1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
1 teaspn black pepper
2-3 cardamom (choti Elaichi)
1 1/2 teaspoons Coriander (Dhania) Powder
½ teaspoon Cumin (Jeera)
½ teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon Red chilli powder
2 tablespoon Mustard oil
Salt , as per your taste
Chopped Coriander Leaves, for garnishing
1. To start making the Kathal ki Sabzi Recipe, let us first cut the raw jack-fruit. In order to do that we have to first grease our hands and the knife that is going to be used with oil.
2. Once cut keep aside in a bowl of water with salt so that the cut Kathal pieces do not become brown.
3. Take a pan add one spoon oil and add chopped kathal and sauté 3-4 min.
4. Take a small pressure cooker add 2 tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add hing and bay leaf.
5. Next add finely chopped onions garlic, ginger and sauté until the onions brown.
6. Next add in jeera,cinnamon stick, whole red chilli black pepper, laung and cardamom and stir the spices well into the onions.
7. Take in a bowl add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder. Pour some water to it and stir to combine well.
8. Once the onion has turned brown, add the prepared masala in the cooker and Sauté 3-4 min.
9. Add the kathal/raw jack fruit and all masala, add salt as per taste and stir well to combine.
10. Add 1 cup of water, cover the pressure cooker and cook the Kathal ki Sabzi for 3 to 4 whistles and turn off the heat. Allow the pressure to release.
11. Open the cooker, add in the chopped coriander leaves.
12. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot.
13. Serve kathal ki sabji with chapatti, steamed rice or jeera rice.